Sharing is caring!
And the Oscar goes to… books!
If the book is always better than the movie, then you know that the books that became Academy Award Winning Best Pictures must be some darn good reads!
The Academy Awards date back to the 1920s, and over that time, many of the Oscar winning films were books first. For our list below, we’ve focused books that were adapted into Oscar-winning movies over the last four decades.
But first, let’s take a look at the 2020 Best Picture nominees…
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a referral fee from qualifying purchases.
Oscar Movies Based on Books in 2020
We’ll soon learn which of the 2020 Best Picture nominees will take home the Oscar statue, but we already know that five of this year’s nominees are based on, or inspired by, books that are worthy of your consideration:
- THE IRISHMAN is based on the 2016 book, I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa by Charles Brandt
- FORD V. FERRARI is inspired by A.J. Baime’s nonfiction book, Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory and Le Mans
- JOJO RABBIT is based on the book Caging Skies by Christine Leunenes
- JOKER is not directly based on any comic book storyline, but the premise is based on the 1988 graphic novel Batman: The Killing Joke
- LITTLE WOMEN is based on the Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel of the same name
Books That Became Academy Award Winning Best Pictures: 1980-2019
Love reading as much as we do?
Join us for more free content, reading challenges, & discussion in the Book Girls’ Guide Facebook Group!