For our fellow Broadway lovers, we’ve compiled this list of some of the very best non-fiction musical theatre books and Broadway memoirs.
These books transport us into the nerve-wracking audition rooms and onto the tense rehearsal stages. We get to experience the drama that happens under the stage lights and in the darkened wings. And we also get to sit in the audience for some of the most memorable moments in theater history.
We’ve broken our list down into three sections. The non-fiction titles delve into the history of Broadway, the creative process, and theater’s evolving role in American culture. The memoirs on the list take us behind the scenes with some of our favorite Broadway stars and tell their personal stories of life on stage and off. Finally, we’ve included our favorite Broadway coffee table books that are great gifts for theater lovers.
Musical Theatre Books for Broadway Lovers
More Books for Broadway Lovers
Broadway fans will also want to check out our Theater Fiction list, which includes the best novels for theater lovers! This booklist includes a wide variety of contemporary and historical fiction titles, as well as some mysteries, romances, and rom-coms.
More Non-Fiction Book Recommendations
- In Case You Missed It: Backlist Reading Challenge (ICYMI)
- Best Books From 2012
- Books Set in the 1880s and 1890s
- Books Set in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin
- Books Set in South America
- Books that Span Multiple Decades
- William Kent Krueger Books in Order
- Best Book Themed Jigsaw Puzzles
- The Best Christmas Romance Novels for 2023
- Best Kindle Unlimited Books for Christmas
- 2023 Hallmark Christmas Movies Based On Books
- Book Club Books for Christmas
- Books Set in Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington DC
- Books Set in North America
- Books Set in the 2000s